MONTEREY LOCATION ONLY
Reports to General Manager
This position plays a major role in a guest’s experience. Consistency is a key element in a positive experience. A bartender must be friendly, outgoing and possess good communication skills. A bartender/server should be organized and able to think and act quickly and effectively while retaining self-composure.
Essential Job Functions
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Welcome each guest(s) personally within 30 seconds.
- Communicate with guest(s) using clear and enthusiastic words, tone and body language at all times. Make guest(s) feel appreciated through bartender’s actions.
- Work as a team with all Dust Bowl’s personnel to maintain an effective atmosphere and an efficient food and beverage service.
- Work with others to keep all areas cleaned and stocked to Dust Bowl’s standards. Opening and closing duties
- Serve alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks for patrons of taproom.
- Ring drink orders into computer/POS immediately, collect money from guests for drinks served and make change.
- Arrange bottles and glasses to maintain an attractive display in agreement with Dust Bowl’s standards.
- Wash and sterilize stemware.
- Be attentive! Offer assistance before the guest has to ask for it.
- Count drinks guests are served, while monitoring level of intoxication..
- Monitor and ensure that no guest receives more than the allowed number of specific drinks.
- Anticipate your guest’s needs. Follow the half-full rule when offering another drink. Be alert of guest signals (raising a hand, making eye contact, etc.), and acknowledge the guest to let them know the bartender will be right with them.
- Learn guests’ names, occupations and favorite beer. This will make Dust Bowl a special place for them.
- Serve alcohol responsibly. Should a guest reach the state where the bartender does not feel the guest should drive, supply a taxi, Lyft or Uber. Do not hesitate to ask for management intervention if necessary.
- Assist with scheduled cleaning/sanitation activities in taproom.
- Customer Focus.
- Communication Proficiency.
- Organizational Skills.
- Stress Management/Composure.
- Time Management.
This position has no supervisory responsibilities.
This job operates in a taproom and may be working in close proximity to co-workers. The noise level in the work environment can be loud. Hazards may include, but are not limited to, cuts, slipping and tripping.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Walk and stand during entire shift.
- Continuously reach, bend, lift, carry, stoop and wipe.
- Remain stationary for long periods of time.
- Frequently wash hands.
- Be able to lift up to 35 lbs.
- Be able to manipulate fingers, hands and arms to cut, measure, pour, serve, carry and wipe.
- Be able to hear and talk.
- Good close and distance vision and ability to adjust focus between the two.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This a regular, part-time, variable hour position which regularly requires long hours and consistent night and weekend work.
No travel is expected for this position.
Required Education and Experience
- Prior experience working in a restaurant.
- Intermediate level knowledge of beer.
Preferred Education and Experience
Prior experience as a bartender or server.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Must be 21 or older.
- Must pass pre-employment physical and drug screen test.
- Must possess and maintain current Food Safety Certificate and Alcohol Safety Certificate
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.